A few random news items on the Tennessee Volunteers as they prepare for a trip to Tuscaloosa to take on the Alabama Crimson Tide:
- Running backs coach Trooper Taylor plans to use more tailbacks to make sure star back Gerald Riggs is fresh for the fourth quarter.
- Fullback Corey Anderson’s lack of playing time is a direct result of him complaining about lack of playing time while slacking off in practice. He’s apparently corrected on both counts.
- Defensive tackle Jesse Mahelona has been selected as one of 12 semifinalists for the Lombardi Award, given to the top defensive player in the NCAA. Another is Alabama linebacker DeMeco Ryans.
- Recivers C.J. Fayton and Jayson Swain are recovering from their respective injuries and are expected to play Saturday.
- Alabama is looking for revenge against the neighborhood bully. Wallace Gilberry:
It’s one of those things that you carry in the back of your mind as you go to sleep. No matter what you do during the day, when that time comes you’re going to remember it. It’s like when you’re little and one guy keeps picking on you, you’re still going to remember him.
But the dynamics have changed. It’s a new year. The weakling has grown over the summer, and the bully is looking vulnerable.